10 December 2009

Safe from the hog but not the clog

The clog I'm referring to here is the clogged hallway of people standing in line to get the 2009 H1N1 vaccine.  I stood with them on Thursday to get my very own shot.  But I still have mixed feelings about this.

After talking with my doc she recommended that since I am a public transit rider (READ - since I am surrounded by people at least twice a day who lack manners and are incapable of covering their mouths/noses when they cough/sneeze) that I should consider getting the vaccine when it became available to me.  Not because she thought I was going to die from it (knock on wood!).  In fact, she pointedly told me that my age group was one seeing few complications (it's the youngins this one's gunning for!), but that it would likley take me down for four or five days if I got it.  For those of you who know my work schedule, you know I can't afford that!

My mixed feelings come in because I really don't like the idea of shooting myself full of vaccines that are good for a year or so when if I just got the damn thing I'd be all set on immunity for a good long while.  In fact, that's part of the reason I have NEVER gotten a seasonal flu shot.  I'm young and healthy (again, knock on wood!) and my body should be able to deal with the flu.  And the doc keeps reminding me that since every year's seasonal flu vaccine cocktail only contains a few strains, I'll probably get it in some form anyway, so why build immunity through a vaccine when I can do it myself.  This all seemed sensible until the government doc jabbed in my H1N1 vaccine and then made me wait in the lobby for 20 minutes because, since I'd never had a seasonal flu shot, he had no way to judge whether I might react badly to the H1N1 shot.  Thankfully, no reactions.  And now I am safe from the hog..flu...for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment