27 July 2011

Food truck fabulous

Most days my "working downtown" glass is half empty.  The traffic to get there is murder (or might force me to commit it one day), its littered with tourists who walk about 2 miles an hour while looking at me like I'm a haughty (insert expletive of choice here) for saying "Excuse me" to get by them.  And in the summer it always a few degrees hotter downtown than in our already oven-like little slice of Northern Virginia. 

But today my "working downtown" glass wasn't half empty, it wasn't even half full.  Rather, my glass runneth over as I stood on 12th Street with several coworkers trying to decide which of the three tasty food trucks would deliver unto me my lunch!!

Food trucks started hitting streets in New York in 2009, but the food truck fad has really only taken hold in DC since 2010.  But there are many of them with more launching every day.  There is even a fantastic site that you can use to keep track of which food trucks are nearby at any given time.

The Halal Grill and Halal Gyro Plus trucks, ready to serve hungry downtown employees!

The Feelin' Crabby truck

This is not my first food truck rodeo, I've had the pleasure several times working in downtown DC and my favorite so far has been the Lobster truck that serves the most AMAZING lobster and crab rolls.  In keeping with that tasty theme, I decided to try out the Feelin' Crabby truck and I'm really glad I did.  

I ordered a crab sandwich. Packed with Maryland blue crab and very little filler, just a few red peppers and a mayo-based dressing that was so light I wouldn't have realized it was mayo if not for the sign telling me so, this sandwich is excellent.  I could have gone for an untoasted and softer bun, it was a little hard.  But otherwise it was perfect! And $13 dollars for the sandwich and a homemade lemonade.  For downtown DC, that's a great deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment