08 December 2009

Aunt Leona's Sugar Cookies

My childhood memories don't come any more treasured than standing on a chair at the counter in my grandma's kitchen stirring up a batch of my Aunt Leona's (my grandma's sister's) sugar cookies.  This was usually followed by my grandma's reminder that we had to wait for them to sit in the refrigerator overnight before we could bake them.  Alas, they aren't for the child who loves instantaneous gratification (who me?!?) but they were always so good that I forgot to be bothered about it most of the time.  If you'd like to make a memory of your own with these, here's the recipe!

1 cup butter (room temperature)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2+ cups of flour (recipe actually called for 2 and 1/4 cups, but typically I don't need all of it and usually leave the last 1/4 cup out)

Mix it all together. Seriously, just throw it in a bowl and mix.  No order, no wet then dry, just dump and mix.  Refrigerate overnight.  Preheat over to 350 degrees.  Make into 1" diameter balls, roll in sugar and drop of cookie sheet.  Press with a fork to flatten slightly.   Bake for approximately 8 minutes until golden! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment