20 December 2009

Dear Delta, Do You Think Playing "Let It Snow" As Your Hold Music Is Funny?

About 10PM on Friday as we were all laying around our living room in a food coma from delicious duck, I flipped open the computer to check what time the snow might start.  Weather.com claimed it already had.  We looked out the window and lo and behold we'd somehow missed the first inch or so to fall.  But not to worry, we didn't miss the remaining 18 inches.  In fact, they're all still here.

Now as my previous post indicates, I love snow.  However, today I found another caveat to that love.  This is in addition to loathing those who can't drive in it.  I don't love snow when it disrupts my travel plans.  I was scheduled to depart DC this morning at 930AM.  Alas, my flight was cancelled.  Not because it was still snowing, it had stopped by the early hours of this morning.  But because DC was so unprepared for the dumping of white (and to the city's credit, 20 inches, even by Michigan standards is A LOT) that as they cleared the runways at Reagan they ran out of places to put the snow and had to truck it offsite.  That left the airport closed into the early afternoon and then only running on some of the runways.

The silver lining you ask?  I noticed early enough on Saturday that my flight had been cancelled that I was able to call Delta and, after a mere 55 minutes on hold, get rebooked out Monday at 730 PM.  And the gold lining?  The only remaining seat was in FIRST CLASS!! And since I have oodles of Delta/Northwest miles they were willing to give it to me without asking for the extra fee! There's always an upside.

Take a look at the pretty, pretty mess all the snow made!


(the first 9 inches had fallen by 10AM on Saturday, ten more fell before it was over!)



(The view from our porch about 7PM on Saturday.  There's roughly 15 inches on the ground at this point)


(Hard to snap good pics when the snow is still coming down in buckets!!)

1 comment:

  1. me likey the snow! but agreed, not on my travel days please!

    ReplyDelete