24 July 2011

Dry-rubbed ribs or how to turn procrastination into something delicious

This weekend I brought home a four-inch stack of work. And because that's just how exciting my life is, working my way through the stack has eaten up my entire weekend.  I am still an inch and half and several emails from finished and it all has to be done before I go to work tomorrow, but I can't take it anymore. I have to divert my attention! What better way, therefore, to procrastinate completing my momentous pile of work than to play with new food items.  I snagged some baby back ribs on "sale" at Whole Foods this morning and decided to create a BBQ masterpiece with some store-bought Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and a spice rub made only with items I have on hand.  This latter component is not that impressive considering most of the spice aisle resides in my cabinets, but it was still fun to play with my various viles of spicy goodness.

Here we go...

Ingredients
4 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt
3/4 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp minced onion
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 slab (approx 2 lbs) baby back ribs

Preheat your oven to 250 degrees F. Combine the first seven ingredients in a bowl.  Mix well with a fork, break up any lumps in the brown sugar.  Cut your slab of ribs in half.  Place each 1/2 slab on a large piece of aluminum foil, shiny side down.  Brush both sides of each half slab with canola oil.  Coat the meat on both sides with the spice rub, patting it into the meat.


Close the aluminum foil around the ribs like a pouch. Place on a baking sheet and place in the preheated over for about 2 hours. Twenty minutes before the ribs are ready to come out, preheat your grill to hot.  After two hours, remove the ribs from the oven and carefully unfold the aluminum foil to expose the ribs.  Be careful, there will be built up steam so make sure to use oven mitts.  The ribs should look something like this...

 

Your grill should be preheated by now.  Brush as much BBQ sauce as you like onto the ribs. We like a lot so I go for it in big globs.  Place on the grill, concave side down until the ribs begin to develop nice grill lines and some charring.  Continue to baste with BBQ sauce.  Flip the ribs to the convex side and continue grilling.  Once both sides are nicely charred, it's time to eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment