11 January 2011

If I'm being candid, Candide was...

Slow. Plodding. Sluggish. Ick.

With the many cheap theater deals DC has to offer, Nicole and I decided to take advantage of a $15 deal to see Candide at the Shakespeare Theater's Harman Hall.  Neither of us were interested in this at full price since reviews had been mixed.  However, for that price we figured, why not? How bad could it be? And to be a fair it wasn't bad.  It was ceaseless, never-ending, long, but strictly speaking, not bad.  Rife with comedic low-hanging fruit and oddly arranged musical numbers (did I mention this was the musical version?), this show left something to be desired - that something being several hours of my life back. 

But the bright, shiny, star-worthy spot of the show, was Lauren Molina as Cunegonde. With serious vocal chops, her soaring soprano and quirky comic deliveries kept my eyes glued to the stage even as I checked my watch wondering how a novella could take 3+ hours to stage.  Ms. Molina was truly a joy to watch and, moreover, to hear.  And the best part, you ask?  Well, she went to the University of Michigan of course.  Way to represent the Wolverines!

No comments:

Post a Comment