30 January 2011

Holy crepe!(s)

In the interest of being both healthy and having to wear a bathing suit in mid-April, I am trying to stay on the Weight Watchers wagon, which has worked well for me in the past and continues to (down 5 lbs in four weeks).  However, that can lead to some seriously boring breakfasts.  Two hard boiled eggs and a banana every day? Gets old fast.  So this morning, with a little time on my hands and my trusty (or sometimes immensely annoying and crappy) computer I went hunting for a tasty alternative to the same old, same old.  And I struck gold! 

After cruising the internet and weightwatchers.com for about 10 minutes I found a recipe for Fresh Strawberry Crepes courtesy of WW, that with a little extra help turned out to be excellent!  As usual, I started with their recipe and modified it, in this case to make it taste good (sorry WW, but leaving sugar out of a crepe is just not an option) and be a manageable size for two people.

Ingredients:

3 large egg whites
1/2 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/16 tsp iodized salt (don't use Kosher, it will not end well)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup 1% milk
1 lb strawberries, hulled and sliced very thin (you could also mix in some blueberries for color and tartness)
1/4 cup powdered sugar

In a medium bowl, whisk together egg whites, salt, vanilla extract, melted butter, milk, sugar and flour until just combined.

Coat an 8- or 9-inch skillet with cooking spray; set over medium heat. When pan is hot, add 1/4 of batter and tilt skillet to cover entire bottom of pan with a thin layer of batter. Cook for 2 minutes; flip over. Top with about 1/4 of the strawberries. Fold crepe over and slide onto a serving plate. Repeat with remaining ingredients; sprinkle with sugar. Yields 1 crepe per serving.

My version of this crepe recipe yields 4 points plus values per serving, as opposed to 3 of the original recipe (but I promise, mine tastes better!).

No comments:

Post a Comment