16 January 2012

Slow-cooked smoky chicken and pinto beans

I'm constantly looking for new, healthy recipe ideas.  I thumb through magazines, new and old, I browse the web, but my favorite source lately has been other food blogs.  I love taking recipes other people have test-driven and adding my own twist.  This one is adapted from just such a recipe found on Taste As You Go and had the added benefit of being both a slow cooker recipe (I'm really into my slow cooker right now) and a total comfort food.

Ingredients

1 cup dried pinto beans, rinsed
1 16-ounce jar of fire roasted salsa
2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 tablespoon adobo sauce
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped (ribs and seeds removed)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

In a 5-quart or larger slow-cooker, add beans, salsa, peppers, adobo sauce, flour, and chicken stock. Season chicken on both sides with salt, pepper. Sprinkle the cumin and chili powder evenly over both sides of the chicken as well. Place chicken in the slow-cooker, pressing the chicken down into the liquid mix as much as possible. Scatter the onion and bell pepper on top.

 All ingredients in the slow cooker, ready to go

Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours. Remove chicken from the slow-cooker, shred into large pieces and serve, garnished with fresh cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment