11 June 2011

Pure Michigan (with a side of Ohio)

I was fortunate to be able to tag up a personal trip with a work trip the first full week of June.  While I was there for some fun and some serious reasons, there were a few highlights that just can't be overlooked in my blogosphere.

I arrived in Michigan on the evening of the 6th of June in time to spend a night with my family before heading back to the airport to pick up my boss and a few coworkers for an event taking place in Sandusky.  As the once-local, it was incumbent on me to make a good restaurant selection for our Tuesday evening dinner in advance of our Wednesday work.  I scored big with Gratzi! in downtown Ann Arbor.  I'd been there several times when I was living in the Ann Arbor area, but hadn't been back in years.  But Italian is always a crowd pleaser, especially in a crowd of great, fun coworkers who happen to like food and wine as much as I do.

We got a bit of a late start, not sitting down to dinner until about 9PM.  We began our meal with a bottle of red, chosen well by my boss (I wish I could remember the name, but when I don't do the ordering I don't pay attention, let's be honest) and three primi plates.  Our first course included calamari fritti, sacchetti, and a risotto special that wasn't meant as an appetizer but that we were all curious to try.  The calamari was crispy and well-prepared, served with saffron aioli and the risotto was packed full of nutty, salty parmesan and fresh spring vegetables.  But the highlight for me was the sacchetti.  Handmade pasta pouches filled with porcini mushrooms in a light cream sauce, these were phenomenal.  The next time I go back this is all I intend to order.  Any maybe some dessert, of course.

Our mains included a variety of dishes, including Cinghiale (boar stew), Ravioli con Caprino (Ravioli with goat cheese), Penne con Pollo e Pumate (Penne with Chicken, spinach and sun-dried tomatoes), and Tonno alla Griglia con Porri e Aceto Balsamico (seared tuna with crispy risotto cake and white balsamic syrup).  The stand outs of this course included the Cinghiale, served over homemade parpadelle and the seared tuna with its sweet balsamic reduction.

We ended our meal with dessert, because if you're going to go for Italian, you have to go all out.  Tiramisu and a dark chocolate crepe filled with white chocolate mousse, drizzled with raspberry sauce and dotted with fresh raspberries.  The crepe is a long-standing favorite of mine and one I was happy to share (or hog).  By the time we finished our meal and made it back to our hotel in Dearborn, it's amazing anyone was able to get up the next morning to work.  But we did.  I even have photographic proof - we didn't even look bad doing it!


Following my Wednesday work, I was able to spend the remainder of the week and weekend in Brighton and Ann Arbor, spending time with family and catching up with friends.

Wednesday evening my dad and brother decided they needed to purchase and "test" a new fire pit for the backyard. A quick trip to Home Depot later and there it was, being assembled on the back patio.  This in an of itself is fairly unremarkable.  What is remarkable was that until that night my 61 year old father had NEVER had a S'more.  I don't know how that's possible.  We didn't camp much when I was a kid, but it just seems unfathomable to me that this right-of-passage type food had never been his before.  And, the best part? My super picky, no junk food eating dad actually liked it.

My dad enjoying his very first S'more

Even though we stayed up way too late enjoying the fire, I was able to get moving on Thursday morning and by lunch time I was in Ann Arbor to meet up with three of my favorite college girls and two of their little munchkins that I still hadn't had the pleasure of meeting.  We met up at No Thai, a walk-up style place that was perfect to allow us to sit and chat for a long lunch.  I was great to finally get to spend some real time with these ladies, J, S and F and even better to finally get to meet their little ones.  I did the best I could to capture pics of our lunch.  That was easier said than done with S's gorgeous girl M - she's super active.  F's daughter, P, was a little easier since she's just three months old and not quite as mobile.

Miss M, reaching for her water cup

P snoozing during lunch

S getting big kisses from her girl

New BFFs, P (and Momma F) and M

Miss P scoping out the camera

We rounded out or lunch with a little shopping in Kerrytown before we all went our separate ways.  It was great to see these ladies (including the little ladies) and even better that I got to see S and M again on Friday, this time with G, who's expecting her first little girl in October!  Thanks for a great visit ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment