06 June 2011

Lemon Yogurt Cake Redux

The day our President took his oath of office, B and I enjoyed an Inaugural brunch at our house to watch the events unfold (because we were not crazy enough to go downtown).  As a part of that brunch, I made a lemon yogurt cake, the recipe for which I blogged way back then.

It was a great cake, but like many of the myriad of recipes I try, it just fell off my radar.  But I revived it in this month to help celebrate the birthdays of two coworkers.  And this time, I added a new twist - a homemade blueberry sauce.

Just like before, the cakes turned out lemony and delicious.

Ina Garten's Lemon Yogurt Cake recipe

To take these tasty cakes to the next level I made a blueberry sauce.  Now the disclaimer. Diabetics and people who do not like sweet things should run, not walk away from this recipe.  While blueberries have a nice natural tartness, very little of that comes through here.  Perhaps its the copious amounts of sugar, but this sauce is just straight up sweet.  But it is very, very good and it adds an additional dimension to the lemon cake.  

To make the sauce combine three pints of blueberries, two cups of sugar, two cups of water and two tablespoons of lemon juice in a large pot.  Bring the mixture to boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.  Reduce the heat to low and allow the sauce to simmer for at least 15 minutes or until is starts to thicken.  Cool and serve with lemon yogurt cake (this also tastes awesome served over vanilla bean ice cream!).


No comments:

Post a Comment