02 March 2010

Opa! in my mouth

Today was my first day of project management class on scheduling and cost control.  In addition to a few new cost estimating techniques (I know - boring!), I also learned that most Canadians, including my instructor, say, proh-cess, proh-ject and rezources (thought you'd like this Alyce!).  After adjusting my listening skills so as not to focus on the different pronunciations and to actually pay attention to the subject matter, class sped by quickly with me counting down the hours until I could meet an old friend and his fiance in Greektown for dinner.

We decided on Greek Islands and at 8:20 I hopped into a cab to meet them there.  Ten minutes later Ben, Lindsay and I were standing in front of a case of fresh octopus waiting for our table.  Once seated we must have driven the waiter crazy, we took more than twenty minutes to make up our minds, but the meze menu is lengthy and nearly everything is good.  For Ben and Lindsay, who had never been there before, the trick was deciding on what items looked best.  For me, having frequented this restaurant during my Chicago dwelling days AND on nearly every visit, it was deciding which of my many favorites dishes I could live without and which I absolutely had to have.  To add another complicating factor, we'd opted to meet for a late dinner to give Ben time to play dodge ball (Chicago has leagues) and me time to catch up on all the office work that had accumulated during my in class hours.  That meant none of us wanted to weigh ourselves down too much with food, but wow, the choices.

We finally settled on splitting a few mezedes among us and then each choosing something for ourselves.  We shared tzatziki that was almost as good as the stuff my aunts and now I make, bread, kefalotiri and kalamata olives.  Kefalotiri is a personal favorite of mine.  I believe in the sharper and stinkier the better for most cheese (with some exceptions) and this one NEVER disappoints.  Hard and tangy, it's typically made from sheep or goat's milk and is nearly always imported direct from Greece.   For my "meal", I ordered an old favorite, something I make at home but that Greek Islands does well too, Horiatiki Salata (Greek village salad).  Light and tasty, it made for an authentic greek meal and happy Greektown dining experience without being too heavy for a later dinner.


Ben chose loukaniko, which is a greek pork sausage that is typically flavored with fennel and orange.


He also chose a cold octopus salad which is basically just grilled and chopped baby octopus, chilled and dressed in a light vinaigrette.  As anyone who's ever made a wrong turn with a clam, octopus or squid dish knows, it's very easy to cook these wrong and end up with what tastes like a plate of rubber bands rather a delicious delicacy.  Thankfully, this dish is something of a house specialty at Greek Islands, underscored by the fresh, not-yet-cooked octopus in the entry way case, and they do it well every time.  Lindsay opted for a more traditional Greek salad as her light entree and was pleased with it too.

All in all, a very successful meal filled with good food and great company.  It was great to catch up with Ben and get to know Lindsay a little better.  Ben has always been a great guy, and it appears he's snagged a great girl.  They'll be married in May and I wish them all the best.  Moreover, I wish for more trips back to Chicago to spend time with them and all our other wonderful Chicago friends.

2 comments:

  1. yum! and is that ben the doctor? also, proh-cess is THE most annoying canadian pronunciation!

    ReplyDelete