03 April 2011

Tourism take 2

We were fortunate enough to have a gorgeous day the Sunday Dan and Erin were here.  It was sunny and lovely.  Since one of the things on their to do list was to see the cherry blossoms we decided to brave the crowds and head downtown, me for my second time this season.

The car ride was longer than expected as many roads had been closed down that morning for the Cherry Blossom 10-mile race.  While the roads had reopened a few hours before, there was a still a lot of backed up traffic. Thankfully, I now drive in DC every day and have learned some short cuts to avoid the confusion and mayhem that is Constitution Ave.  45 minutes after departure (for a normally 22 minute ride) we sailed into a parking spot in my work building and were off to the tidal basin.

Just as before it was lovely, maybe a shade lovelier even since more of the blossoms were in full bloom.  But unlike the prior Monday, the area was booming with tourists.  So many that the best pace we could manage was a lazy stroll.  So we committed to it.  Lazy stroll it would be. This kept everyone (and I mostly mean Ben and me since we're the more impatient, certainly) from getting frustrated and allowed everyone to enjoy a beautiful day playing tourist again.

Some highlights from our time downtown (photo credit to Dan - I forgot my camera).

 The Jefferson Memorial from the opposite side of the tidal basin

The sun through the blossoms

Dan and Erin behind the Jefferson Memorial

We finished our touristing, walking the full scope of the tidal basin, back through the Lincoln and down Constitution toward the car.  I was sad heading home knowing that as soon as we arrived I would have to head to airport bound for Orange County, CA for a work trip.  While their are far worse destinations to be sent that sunny Southern California, I would far rather have spent the rest of the afternoon soaking in our wonderful friends.  It was wonderful having you both, come back soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment