01 January 2010

New Year's Germy Eve

Since we wouldn't be able to spend NYE in Boston as we'd originally hoped, we'd decided weeks ago that we wanted to find a fun "DC" activity to liven up the ride into 2010.  As we're both jazz fans, that came in the form of the Kennedy Center's NYE Jazz Concert, "Dear Mr. Sinatra" with John Pizzarelli.  We managed to snag the last of the remaining tickets in the concert hall, made dinner reservations at Bazin's on Chuch, a local gourmet favorite and I even found a gorgeous beaded dress on clearance at Macy's.  NYE was shaping up to be a great night.  And then I got sick.  Don't know whether it was being out in the wind in Charleston or just sharing other people's germs on planes over the holiday.  But by Wednesday of this week I had a monster head cold and next to no energy.

Determined to get our money out of the tickets, I slept all day (truth be told I was feeling gross enough I would have done this anyway) and rested between getting ready activities to make sure I had enough juice in my batteries to make it through the night.  We started off on the right foot.  I don't even look too sick (ignoring the red knows and sleepy eyes) in the picture we took before leaving!

We made our reservation and enjoyed our favorite bottle of Pinot Noir (Talbot Sleepy Hollow 2006) and a delicious three-course meal.  Ben's dinner began with Lobster Chowder, followed by a Surf and Turf that included venison, lamb, shrimp and in the end some of my crab I couldn't finish.  He enjoyed a fantastic hot chocolate cake with coconut and passion fruit sorbet for dessert.  My first course was a butternut squash risotto with braised duck and just a touch of cool cilantro to make everything balance perfectly.  For my main it was their famous crab cakes, a favorite of mine always and white chocolate mouse with raspberries for dessert.  About halfway through the last course Ben looked at me and said, "you're starting to feel badly again, aren't you? I can see it."  He was right, of course.  The man who can usually tell how I feel just by looking at me and sometimes before I even realize.  The energy I'd stored was totally depleted and my sinuses were beginning to throb.

So our grand plan to ring in the new year at the Kennedy Center went out the window.  Instead, I was asleep by 1030.  But if the old addage, "what you're doing new year's eve, you'll be doing all year", is true, I can console myself easily about our failed plans.  Instead of a concert, we spent our after dinner hours in our tremendously comfortable bed laughing and being silly, despite my growing sinus headache, and enjoyed the kind of sleep that comes with true contentment.

1 comment:

  1. sorry you were sick. :( and total drag we couldnt ring in 2010 together, but im glad you got some damn good food in you. im jealous. we safely made it home from the flights and unpacked and didnt muster the energy to see the city fireworks at midnight. we were still awake, but lying in bed chatting and resting. i guess thats something to look forward to from the "what you're doing new year's eve, you'll be doing all year"...except itll mean ive become the most boring person alive. ah well. get better!

    ReplyDelete