05 April 2009

RED is a relationship

I've known that Red is Hockey since I could talk, my dad saw to that. I experienced it first hand when I was 6. I even got to see them scrape the octopus off the ice. For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, you've never experienced a game inside the Joe. Red is hockey - Detroit Red Wings hockey. And to me there's just no other kind. Now I've been asked to share the color with another team - our very own Washington Capitals (their slogan, no surprises here, is "Red is Caps Hockey").

Our friend Michelle scored free Skybox seats to Friday night's game against the Buffalo Sabres and invited B and I along. We had a great time cheering on the Caps and goofing off with some of our favorite people (as evidenced by the pics below). After the game, B made the tongue-in-cheek suggestion that we become Caps "super fans." Not that I've ever been crazy enough about any sports team to be classified as a "super fan", but I have always had my loyalties. That is until we moved here. Don't get me wrong, I will always, always tune in to see my alma mater play. There is NOTHING like University of Michigan football, complete with the incredible victories and crushing disappointments. But I've been living in the DC area for nearly five years now and, when it comes to professional sports teams, I can't seem to form an attachment.

My reticence to get "involved" with a sports team, I'm certain, stems from the fact that I've been silently repeating the mantra "we're moving back to Chicago" in my head since I stepped out of the U-haul the day we moved here. But let's be honest, that's not happening any time soon. So I might as well settle in and find myself a team with whom I can have a committed relationship.

With that in mind, I've decided to start "dating" the Washington Capitals as the DC team with whom I'll share my loyalty. Unless they're playing the Red Wings...please permit me that infidelity.

(Below: The view of the ice from our Skybox; Michelle and Gustavo "prom posing" in front of the ice)


No comments:

Post a Comment