17 January 2012

Red quinoa and black bean salad

As B and I continue down our weight loss path (unsurprisingly, he's been more successful than me, losing 9 pounds to my 7), I keep looking for interesting lunch items.  I found this one on Oh She Glows, a positive body-image focused blog that I follow, and it's excellent.  Like most everything you see here, I've adapted it to my own tastes.

Ingredients

For the salad:

1 cup red quinoa
1 15 oz can black beans
1 large avocado
1 large red pepper, coarsely chopped
3 scallions, chopped
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped

For the dressing:

The juice of 2 limes
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon cracked red pepper flakes
1/2 cup olive oil


Cook the quinoa according to package directions.  Strain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Pour the rinsed quinoa into a large mixing bowl.  Rinse black beans and add to quinoa.  Split the avocado and remove the pit.  Score the avocado into 1/2 inch squares and scoop, with a spoon, into the mix bowl.  Add the chopped red pepper and scallion.  Toss all ingredients together.

To prepare the dressing, mix the lime juice, kosher salt, pepper, cumin and cracked red pepper in a container with a lid.  Add the olive oil, snap on the lid and shake well.  Drizzle the dressing all over the prepared salad.  Toss the salad to evenly distribute the dressing.  Garnish with more fresh cilantro and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment